Thread: DIY- Oil Change
View Single Post
Old February 18th, 2010, 12:40 PM   #198
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNinja52 View Post
Hmm, couldn't find WIX anywhere, could barely find anythign else than fram and I'm not sure i want to use fram.

Also, some guy that owns a bike shop by me told me not to use 10w-40 as it is very useless and also that I MUST use motorcycle oil or else itll ruin my engine within 100 miles of use because it has a special "additive" but he just kept repeating that so im not sure how much i trust his knowledge.

Should I call the dealer i got my 1st service done with to see what kind of oil they used? I doubt they would have used synthetic correct? cuz i dont want to put conventional oil in if they did.

suggestions? advice? ridicule? ill take anyting
that "some guy" is confusing..... yeah, motorcycle-specific oil is a good thing but a dose of Rotella diesel oil will do ya good too. Just stay away from oils that are "energy conserving." The spew about 10w-40 is just that... 10W-40 oil is fine. When in doubt, use the weight(s) listed in your owner's manual.

Never mind what oil the dealer used... use what you want, be it dino oil or synthetics. If you're havin trouble finding a filter then get/order one from the dealer, get some motorcycle oil and go at it. Have fun!