View Single Post
Old April 9th, 2020, 05:07 PM   #8
BlueNinjaF18
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Like what was shared in your earlier threads, the MSF is highly recommended, but it's not necessarily the only method to learn. Many of those on the site learned in various ways - including many years ago when beginner riding training may not have even available.

But - there's no cheap, easy, no-risk way to do this. You say you can't afford MSF as the primary reason, but if that's the real impediment to you riding - you probably don't have the financial ability to be riding anyway. In your earlier threads, you quoted the MSF course at $300, and have described that as a small fortune. How much do you have budgeted for a new bike? How much for repairs if you're buying an older bike that likely will need some? How much for appropriate riding gear, now that you have hit the pavement 3 times already and know that it might not be the last? How much for insurance not only on the bike itself, but for medical/disability/life insurance if you have any dependents at all that would be impacted by another accident on your bike?
As for safety gear I didn't skimp on that when I ordered it. I have spoken with the MSF Instructor (nearest class is 50 miles from me) last year, and though I agree the MSF course is a good option, it is not one best suited for me. As I said in my post I am Autistic, and I learn things almost instantly if I do not feel pressured or rushed in doing so. A large group environment would not be conducive to what I want to do, and that is to break down each issue that I'm having, and practice it correctly until it is no longer an issue. By doing that it means that my attention is no longer focused on something that could cause me to crash.

The other issue is of course money, and though I do not think that everyone on this site is rich, I'm sure some are, and can afford anything that comes up. I am not wealthy, and do not think that it would be a fair statement to say if a rider cannot afford everything that everyone else does, that I should not be riding. The MSF course here costs $340, plus the cost of transporting my bike there, which is 50 miles away. I would also have to incur expenses for a room. That's not feasible when you have a budget. Could I save for it? Sure. Do I want to?No, because as the instructor and I discussed it's not my best option. What I need is a veteran rider who I can learn from and ride with locally.

Having said that, I have budgeted $2000 for my next bike. I already have the insurance and gear lined up beforehand. I am also aware this time around about regular maintenance on the bike, and what I can and cannot do myself. I did not know what to look at and look for before, now I do. I also have no intention of buying a used bike from a private seller. I have talked with about a dozen dealerships within a hundred miles, and they all have used bikes that are single rider owners, with no drops, and were well maintained. That's the other reason I'm doing that, because the owner of my previous bike obviously didn't care about anyone's safety, he just wanted the money.
BlueNinjaF18 is offline   Reply With Quote