View Single Post
Old April 27th, 2020, 03:33 PM   #13
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNinjaF18 View Post
Yes I am cleared, no physical impediments, and Yes I do drive a car and have experience dealing with traffic. I actually have both defensive and offensive driving training from my time in security, and have never had a speeding ticket, and one accident in twenty years of driving that I was not at fault for. After my last crash I did extensive research and taught myself how to ride, as I already had experience riding a dirt bike. What I did not learn were two key areas: rev matching and throttle control.

Specifically, I did not know that while riding, you could ease back on the throttle to decrease your speed without downshifting, as each gear has a specific range to operate in both for the RPMs and speed. Due to that I refused to get out on the open road and risk my safety or anyone else's. Though I am Autistic, I am not stupid (not implying that you thought that). My issues mostly deal with sensory overload with certain sounds. It's why I said I learn better when it's a one on one thing where I don't feel pressured or rush; an example being like when you work in a production setting.

I also do better when I'm alone. I have always been introverted, and that is due in large part to the abuse that I have endured as a child. That in turn created insecurity, which affects everything that I do like a job, ext. I guess that same insecurity is present in learning to ride, but I feel like I made steps to overcome that by making a level headed decision to get up and get back on it. I read Proficient Motorcycling over and over, then took the bike in my driveway and learned to feel the throttle, while watching the RPM's.

Next I learned the friction zone on the clutch so that it would not stall. after a week of doing that, I practiced accelerating from stand still to the end of the driveway, and stopping the bike at a pre determine spot. I did that for two weeks before going down the street. I learned how the tires react when they're cold and hot, and I practiced counter steering. Then I began doing emergency braking. I got the bike up to 60 and stopped it using both the front and rear brakes. That taught me how and when I could use them.

I'm sharing this because I do not want you to think that I am completely ignorant, nor do I want you to think that I just saw MotoGP and decided that a ZX10r should be my goal. I like being and feeling safe, and after two months of what I just described, I felt safe on the 250. I liked how stable it felt, and though I did not do any extreme cornering, when I did corner I felt in control of the bike instead of like I did when I crashed. I realized that I hit the gravel that was spilled on the road, the tires lost traction, and that was that. I do not regret that happening, because it taught me a valuable lesson.

I also don't have an ego like some folks you see that give riding a bad rap. I want to use the bike to commute in town, and get at least six months of experience doing that before I attempt to ride on the highway. Even as a driver in a car we all see how crazy some folks are, always in a hurry, and they always think that they deserve or have a right to place their own interests above someone else's safety.

This time around my goal is to buy a bike from a dealership rather than a private seller, in order to avoid the same mistakes as before. I also have no intention of riding the bike in the rain, or if I feel bad. Riding as far as I have experienced is a whole other sensory experience, but in a good way. You have to constantly be aware of your surroundings, while maintain control of the bike. I learned that if I don't look downrange several hundred meters, that I could miss something that could get me killed. You can't do that if you're sleepy, tired, or feeling bad.
Hey, I just wanted to say that I think it's great that you are taking such an in depth approach to your own riding and are being systematic about it. Congrats for getting past the first barrier of getting back on the bike after you have had an accident. It's not easy so well done.....If I lived near by I'd be happy to give you a one on one riding lesson! (I'm a coach with the California Superbike School) Unfortunately I'm in Canada.

I do really want to say that I'd love it if you kept your search up for someone or some kind of class (MSF or other kind of riding class) so that you can continue to learn valuable riding skills as fundamentals early on are so very important. You seem to have a good understanding of what you are learning so I'd push you to continue. If you'd like to ask me specific questions I'm happy to try and answer, otherwise I wish you the best of luck for finding a good class and learning how to ride so that you too can enjoy the sport that we LOVE.

Oh, and don't let anyone (EVER) tell you that being Autistic should be a limit to you riding. I have a personal friend who is a pro race car driver who is also Autistic. He has come so very far since first learning how to drive a go-kart.

Check him out: https://www.racingwithautism.com

Misti is offline   Reply With Quote