View Single Post
Old December 15th, 2011, 11:46 AM   #4
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrider View Post
I keep hearing people say how asking someone for their I.D. before they can vote is discrimination. I disagree and think if you are against voter I.D. you must be for voter fraud.

Am I wrong on this?
Yes, you are. You're using a semantic trick to justify a conclusion. I'm against voter ID, yet I'm also against voter fraud. That makes your statement false.

The evidence does not support any conclusion that states that there is widespread vote fraud in this country. It just doesn't. Now, I'm not saying there is not vote fraud, there have been many well-documented cases, but as a percentage of all voting it is very small, miniscule in fact, and other than a very, very few isolated tiny local elections it has no effect whatsoever on the overall scheme of things.

The main reason I'm against the current crop of proposed voter ID laws, aside from the waste of fiscal resources they entail with dubious (at best) benefit, they tend to impose financial hardship on some voters, typically in the form of mandating travel and expenses to get an ID. For instance, having to travel to the county seat, having to produce birth records in cases where there are legitimate reasons why those records may not exist and refusing other forms of proof of citizenship, etc.

For instance, why wouldn't someone have a birth certificate? Many black families in the old south existed in such poverty that they could not afford a birth in any kind of medical facility, at all. Babies born at home and raised on a sharecropper's farm wouldn't have a birth certificate. Should they be excluded from being able to vote? The Constitution says no, but a certain political mindset says yes. Why? Because historically African Americans tend to vote for one party more often than the other, and guess which party is pushing for these so-called "voter ID laws"?

To me, the motives behind these legislative efforts are suspect enough, especially in light of the fact that there's no credible evidence of meaningful or widespread fraud, to justify rejecting these so-called laws.

And by the way, before a certain segment gets all twisted up over my comments, I just wanted to make it clear that I believe, 100% and unequivocally, that the only people who have any right to vote in this country are people who hold valid citizenship of this country. Anyone who states otherwise would be making fraudulent statements.