View Single Post
Old September 7th, 2013, 06:37 AM   #15
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Man, I wish I were closer. It only takes a few moments to pick the seat lock and it (at least on the pregens) has all six wafers. From that I could make a key pretty easily by dismantling the lock and measuring the wafers. I've done it for bikes I've bought that didn't come with keys (generally wrecked or parts bikes).

The next time you run into any situation where you can't ride back to a secure location you need to make it a priority to get the bike home first, above all else, usually by enlisting the help of a friend or relative with a truck or trailer. Once you get the bike to a secure location then your options for inexpensive remediation are wide open because you have time. Lots of folks out there like to take advantage of people without time by overcharging for their services.

On pregens, the key code is on the ignition lock and the seat lock. Of the two, the seat lock is way easier to pick and thus remove to get access to the number. The ignition lock is very difficult to pick and to remove it requires significant disassembly of the bike and drilling. It would not surprise me to learn that the newgens are the same way.

Call all the locksmiths in your town to find out if any have a code book for your year bike. In my town, a small hole in the wall locksmith, ACME, has code books for pregens through 2007, and can cut a new key from the Z-code on the lock housing. The Z-code is the key code number, like Z5056. It's not just dealers, and sometimes even dealers don't have all the code books.

Anyhow, once you get a new key made, preferably two keys, put one away for safe keeping. If you lose a key, use that spare to make copies, do not use the spare itself because it will wear and thus make future copies that are also worn.

Sorry you had to go through this, you should make your focus on how much knowledge you can learn from the $600 you spent to get it.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.