View Single Post
Old February 10th, 2020, 02:03 AM   #21
NorthernNinja
ninjette.org member

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymod View Post
Was thinking of building my motor, but this seems like a better idea.
Subscribed
A while back i remember seeing some high compression pistons and stuff like that for the 250. I think you can find a big bore kit somewhere, but honestly the amount of money you'll spend on it for the very minor performance gains, and making it harder to just live with and daily, you'd definitely be better off putting a 500 in it or something. to my knowledge the ninja 250 doesn't like more than about 40hp on stock internals, and in general, the more you tweak engines and fueling systems the less easy it becomes to just hop on and ride, run pump gas, ETC. you can make 60hp with a stock 500 engine and carbs all day long.

I see you're from Brampton? Last I checked NCK Cycle Salvage in Woodstock had a 500 engine and carbs, but you kind of want a full bike (wiring and exhaust are nice to have, as well as just small other parts). Sonic cycle in London had a full roller but they were asking quite a bit for it. honestly Kijiji or facebook marketplace is your best bet. look for something with bent forks or that got rear ended or something and pick it up cheap, they're common bikes.

Something to consider though is why do you want to do this? I completely encourage working on/building/engine swapping if it's something you enjoy the idea. But if more that 50% of your desire to do this is for power, I would say it's probably not worth it. just a little insight, i'm trying to do this on a budget and I have the tools and skills required to do all of it myself, and i'm still looking at a projected build price of $2500-3000 (not counting the price of the original 250) by the time i'm done not only the swap, but the instrumentation, tuning, and added safety things that come with adding more power and more weight. That's a very good downpayment on something new or the purchase price of a clean used bike with as much horsepower and better electronics systems.

Don't let me discourage you if it's something you really want to do, the reward of building something yourself is great and I wish you luck with it! Just thought i'd give you some things to think about before you get started. Any questions on it just let me know.
NorthernNinja is offline   Reply With Quote