adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala View Post
That was ducati999's suggestion, pretty much. @adouglas @Ducati999 setting my mental reminder for next track day #TOT
You may find that vision limits you there. You may have noticed that I wear contacts while riding. That's specifically because I can't look through my glasses when I'm in the proper track riding position.

You're sitting bolt-upright on that bike, and that's the only reason you can see because you've got your helmet rotated forward a bit AND you're wearing sunglasses.

Your eyes should be (at most) centered in the helmet eyeport. You should be able to look as far up as you can without the helmet or glasses frames getting in the way.

Consider getting a tinted shield so the glasses frames arent a factor.

When you put your bike on the stand and get TOT to practice body position have your helmet and sunglasses on. Take note of what you can see when you're down in the position. Can you look ahead to the horizon or are you forced to look down at the ground in front of the bike? Note that if you obstruct your upward vision you have to crane your neck and you can only go so far because the back edge of your helmet hits your neck.

Other things I see in your shots: Your arms look like they might be a bit tense. Were you getting any arm fatigue? I think I mentioned this at the track... I struggled a lot at first with putting too much stress on my arms, which puts unwanted inputs into the bars, which upsets the chassis, which makes the bike unhappy, which makes you unhappy.

A big advantage of TOT is that you're supporting yourself with your core and your torso. Your arms can be very relaxed as a result.

Your lady bits are right up on the tank. That's going to limit your ability to get low. Try scooting your butt back. You need to be forward in the seat when you're at a stop to reach the ground but once you're riding you never need to be there. A good rule of thumb is a fist width between the tank and your crotch.

Picture a jockey riding a race horse. Very mobile, carrying weight with the legs rather than planting butt solidly in saddle. I never have a sore butt because I don't put too much weight on my a$$.

Re the helmet, observe:

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.

Last futzed with by adouglas; August 12th, 2019 at 08:19 AM.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote