adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph42 View Post
Not to poke you with a stick, but the first thing that came to mind is this old discussion.
Totally fair point! But I stand by what I said in that thread... I do not believe this was inevitable and I did not expect to crash, but I wasn't one bit surprised when I did.

No doubt you've also seen similar rants from me about pushing limits. The objection most had was that if you don't push limits and crash from time to time you don't progress.

Calling me out on that is, I think, more on point than the "those who crash and those who will" inevitability thing. And it's a valid hit. Was I pushing limits? Arguably yes. But I didn't set out to do that; I wasn't trying to poke the sleeping dragon to see what I could get away with. To me that's a key difference.

I always have and always will go out there to learn how to ride better, not get a warrior-mindset adrenaline rush from taking risks. I was trying to get the skill right and I simply screwed up. I straight up made a mistake that pushed the bike over the edge.

The thing I take away from this is that the faster you go, the smaller the margin for error. The exact same mistake made at a lower speed would not have resulted in tucking the front. I know because I've done it before and had a few "moments" where the bike said harsh words to me, including the same day of the crash.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.