Thread: 140 rear tire
View Single Post
Old August 21st, 2019, 04:50 PM   #18
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchman View Post
I replaced my rear with the 140. Bike feels similar. However, if you are leaning a lot (racetrack), you will never use the whole rear tire, if keeping the stock front tire (110). Well at least this is the case with my tire combo (110 front, 140 rear. Tires are pirelli diablo rosso.

Check the image of my tire wear and you will see what I am talking about. Anyway, for the road use... I don't notice any major difference. Just go with the combo you get/like.
Yup, you'll also create balance mismatch at limit that I find dangerous. Front-end will let go before stickier 140 rear, which is much, much more difficult to catch than rear going out first like with stock sizes.

One time at Thunderhill East, I got impatient in turn-2 and whacked throttle wide-open while completely leaned over. Guess what? Yeah, I crashed, but how it happened is annoying. Rear 140 tyre didn't spin, bike didn't exit turn rear-first or high-side me. Rear continued to stick even with full-throttle at full-lean!!! However, front tyre just let go with no warning! Having stickier rear-tyre than front is scary! If I was going to upgrade tyre-size, it would be front first. More grip in front is so much safer and easier to control when back-end slides first.

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; August 23rd, 2019 at 01:16 PM.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote