View Single Post
Old December 27th, 2008, 01:18 AM   #1
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Any GPS junkies here?

As a confirmed techno-weenie (or geek for short), I've had GPS on my bikes ever since the handheld ones got inexpensive almost 10 years ago. I've owned quite a few since, the count's well into double digits if you count the ones installed in our cars. I posted up how I installed our Garmin GPS60Cx onto our ninjette right here. I use the gadgets to load waypoints and routes in ahead of time; it really helps whether I'm leading a ride or just following along. In the first case it means I'm less likely to lead the group astray; in the second case it means I have zero stress about keeping up and I can stop whenever I like, knowing I'll always know how to make it to the destination or next rest point.

After each ride, I load up the track to my computer and store it for future use. GPS files have become standardized in the past few years, and they can all be expressed as GPX files. These files can then be downloaded by almost anyone with a GPS, and loaded into their own gadgets for their own use.

So far I haven't posted much (or any) GPS-related stuff onto this board because I wasn't sure if there was an audience. If there are other GPS-junkies out there, speak up and let me know if you'd like more GPS-related features on this board (a separate sub-forum for routes could be one example). Anyone else using their GPS to do neat things on a motorcycle?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote