View Single Post
Old December 27th, 2008, 11:36 AM   #11
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by noche_caliente View Post
Are there any specific models that y'all would recommend for using on our bikes that don't cost and arm and a leg?
I guess it depends on how one values their arm and leg, but the good news is that no matter what type you get, they are less expensive than they've ever been. Right now we own two, both Garmins, a Zumo 550 and a GPS60Cx. The Zumo 550 can be found for about $500 (maybe a little less now), and the 60Cx is an older model, but can be found for about $270. The Zumo is motorcycle-specific, and comes with all of the mounting gear you need to put it on a bike; you need to pick that stuff up separately with the 60Cx, and you also need to buy a mapset separately with the 60Cx, so the price gets closer to the Zumo.

Here are some of the things that I think are important when choosing a GPS for a bike:

- Does it run on 12V power natively, or does it need an adapter?
Many Garmin units do run on 12V, which means hooking them up to a bike can be as easy as running a wire straight to the battery. You will want to hardwire the GPS, so you can keep the backlight on continuously while it's on the bike. Especially at night, when a GPS might be particularly useful. With its internal batteries, no GPS will be able to run with a backlight on for more than 2-3 hours at most. (though some can run 12-18 hrs without backlight, good for hiking, etc). If it doesn't run on 12V, it will still likely come with a cigarette lighter adapter. The problem is that the transformer to step the 12V down to 5V is sometimes in that adapter, so you need to use it and can't just strip the wires. Cigarette plugs aren't very durable or vibration-resistant, so it becomes a common failure point. (That's why most moto-accessories use the BMW-style/powerlet type plug instead)
- How many maps can it hold?
At this point, memory is so inexpensive that I wouldn't buy a GPS unless it could hold the full detailed maps of the entire US at a time. The Zumo can, and the 60Cx can (with a 2 GB microSD card plugged into it). Almost all modern GPS's have this feature, so there's no reason to go without it now and have to load different map areas as you travel.
- What maps does it come with?
Some units, like the Zumos and much of the Nuvi line, come with the full US detailed maps on board and ready to go. Often they include the full maps to load to your computer so you can create routes with them, but sometimes that is extra. Some units, like the 60Cx series, come with just a high-level basemap, and all detailed maps need to be purchased separately and loaded to the device. The basemap will have major highways and town names in it so you can get from town to town, but it doesn't have any actual street addresses to route to, and has no streets smaller than the major highways included.
- How durable is it? Is it waterproof?
The ones designed for outdoor use or even motorcycle use are more vibration resistant, typically more water-resistant, and are even more drop-resistant. Well, they still get dropped the same as any other, but they are more likely to survive the drop and keep working.
- How big is the screen? Is it in color? Is it readable for me? Is it readable in sunlight?
This is a preference. Larger screen may be better, as long as you have space for it, but the larger it is the less handy the gadget is to carry around with you, and the more space it takes up in the cockpit.
- Are there motorcycle mounts available, or am I going to have to find a unique solution of my own?
http://www.ram-mount.com/ is the 1st place to check, and you can buy their stuff from a bunch of places; I have had good luck with http://www.cycoactive.com over the years.
- can it load and save tracks (even multiple tracks) easily?
Here, the hiking and all-purpose GPS's do well. Both the 60Cx and the Zumo have good capabilities. The Nuvi line, and in general most of the nav systems aimed for car navigation do not have these capabilities (or they are very limited). If you plan on being able to save tracks (and/or routes) from the internet, load them to the gadget and use them, or to save tracks from the gadget and look at them later, make sure your GPS can do that. It's these particular capabilities that I think folks assume their GPS will have, and are surprised to find out that it doesn't.
- can it "route" using the loaded maps? can it load routes created elsewhere and route using them?
If you're in San Francisco, and you want to get to Bakersfield, when you put in Bakersfield, can it route you using the maps to tell you which roads to go on and where to turn, all the way to your destination? Here's where some of the hiking/outdoors GPS's fall short for our purposes, and they can't route at all. Some of them can load maps, but all the maps can be used for is to see where you are right at one point on a map, they can't be used to actually route you along the road. Some of the more car-focused GPS's can route, but only to a single point (or a via point or two), and cannot route using a loaded route file.
- Does it have audio? Does it give street directions by voice?
Here you want to decide if this is important to you. If you're not going to run headphones to the GPS, or hook it to some type of communications system, then audio isn't particularly useful. If it beeps, that's more than enough. On a bike at speed, you're not going to hear anything anyway. Our 60Cx only has beeps for audio, the Zumo does have sophisticated audio out, speaks street names, and on our RT we have it wired to a Autocom system with in-helmet speakers.

That probably covers much of the thought process, though I'm sure I left some things out unintentionally. To get back to your first question, which specific models, here's what I'd suggest:

- If you have the $, can't go wrong with a Zumo 550. If you don't need bluetooth connectivity, MP3 capability, and a few other gadgety features, the Zumo 450 is almost as slick, and can save you $80 - $100. The Zumo does great double-duty as a car-navigator, and even comes with a suction cup mount to slap onto your car's windshield. (the 550 has that, confirm if the 450 does too)

- If you want the GPS to carry along for hiking or other outdoor activities, check out the Garmin 60Cx or CSx. They are almost identical, but the S version has an electronic compass and altimeter. The GPS chip itself does a passable job at those features, I own the Cx and have never wanted for the CSx. Garmin has come out with replacement models for the 60 series, they are called the Colorado. No first-hand experience with them, but they look to have a larger screen, and a simlar form factor to the 60's. With any of these models, you need to factor in the cost of the mapset, memory chip, and motorcycle mounting which all need to be purchased separately.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote