View Single Post
Old August 31st, 2010, 04:14 PM   #6
tjkamper
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

More answers for you,

1. You should be fine. Depending on how extensive the damage was, you might get a rattle, but there is nothing safety wise you need to worry about. I would recommend not replacing this part as the bike may be dropped again in the near future especially if you are a new rider.

2. If you want a new part, it is up to you. I would ask around the forum or ebay as many people convert bikes to street fighters after a crash and some person somewhere might have it just lying around. But like I said to question 1. I'd just leave it for now.

3. It can be done, but you probably won't get much difference unless you lower the rear as well. More than likely the mechanic just doesn't want to do it. Here is some info: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...ring+front+end
You already got a great answer about the Clip-ons.

4. You initiate motorcycle lean by counter-steering. As a beginner and in normal ridding conditions you should be an extension of you bike and should stay just about square to the seat. So if the bike leans 15 degrees you are also at that same 15 degree angle. As you get into more advanced/aggressive (TRACK/RACING) you will see people hanging off of the bike in the direction of the turn and knee dragging.

You only want to counter balance (that is were your bike leans and you stay upright) at low speeds; (i.e. full locked u-turns, parking lots)

5. Riding with one hand is perfectly safe as long as you are comfortable doing it and able to control the bike. I do it all the time to rest when on long roads. I still counter-steer to initiate lean, but I do use my knees a lot in directing the bike, but it is mostly unconscious as I never realize how much I do use my knees, until I am on a cruiser.

6. A wind blast could, but it shouldn't blow you out of control if you have the correct technique. Be sure to have a loose grip and guide the bike instead of manhandling it. Let the bike move around underneath you and make subtle corrections to keep it in a straight line. It really is not as complicated as it sounds. Just don't squeeze the grips any harder than you need to to keep the throttle turned and counter-steer as needed.

Some advise... If you haven't already please take the MSF course. It will make you a lot safer rider.

Also, if you have trouble understanding the concept of counter-steering--which many people do-- I recommend going to a non-busy stretch of road that you can go at least 40MPH on (I like freeway speeds, but some people are not ready for that type of speed). As you are going in a straight line, lightly push your right handlebar (this turns the wheel left) making the bike lean right and go right. Then repeat to to the left. Do this so that you can actually feel how the physics of counter-steering works. Once you feel it, you can trust it. (When you do this, keep the bike in its lane and remember to do it very slightly as you don't want to drive off the road and become a big splat).

Good luck! Post up any other questions you may have.