View Single Post
Old February 14th, 2013, 11:28 AM   #66
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Three years ago I did a 2400 mile tour over the course of a week (CT to Indianapolis to West Virginia to Baltimore to Cape Cod and back to CT).

The bike will deal with it just fine. You, however, will wear out if you don't stop regularly to stretch your legs.

I had a simple rule: Stop once an hour and get off the bike, even if it's just for a minute to walk around. I also would have a leisurely lunch (meaning actually sit down, not just grab-and-go) and set a distance limit each day of 400 miles, give or take.

End result: I didn't burn myself out and had a great time.

It's easy to overdo this stuff and get too goal-oriented. Enjoy the ride... the destination will appear when it's ready to.

Consider your true priority. Are you trying to get somewhere ASAP or are you out to enjoy the trip? Driving yourself to achieve the first means you're going to sacrifice at least some of the second.

If the purpose of the trip is to get there, frankly I'd probably drive. You can cover a lot more ground in less time that way, because it's not as physically demanding. Or I'd fly to maximize my time at the destination.

If the purpose of the trip is to have fun along the way, the bike wins hands down.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.