Old September 29th, 2016, 05:50 AM   #18
VaFish
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
I hope this drives development of the lightweight bikes specifically better frames and suspension. Although I wouldn't be upset if somebody made a 350cc inline 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbinker View Post
I just hope it doesn't cause the price of the bikes to skyrocket.
I think it will definitely drive the development of better small bikes. It will definitely move the advancements to them quicker than we would normally see it, since the bikes need to be homogulated and kept pretty much stock. Since the rule book keeps the power to weight ratios the same, changing suspension and frame is the best way to improve the bikes.

Unfortunately I think it will also drive the price up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgold View Post
I really don't think that will be an issue. There could easily be two bike models from each manufacturer. One standard model and one special edition model that is more than just BNG (Bold New Graphics). It would have things like better suspension and other higher spec components. Pick how much you're willing to pay. And as this class of streetbikes become more popular manufacturers may very well be willing to lower the prices while making up the profit on higher sales volumes.

I believe this is very good for small displacement motorcycle racing in general because it will make the buy-in to start racing much more doable.
If prices do start to go up, I hope this is the route manufacturers take. Similar to the way Kawasaki does the Ninja 650 and the ZX6R. or the Ninja 1000 and the ZX-10. Maybe they will have a Ninja 300 and a ZX-3R.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote