Old October 9th, 2014, 02:20 PM   #39
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by M42 View Post
... threw in a new plug. It found the end of the thread without a problem, but I could only finger tighten it 1/4 of a turn before it stopped. Tightened it another turn or so with a wrench. I don't actually remember how far in the plug threads go on the bike, but they probably should go in a little farther when tightening with fingers iirc... turned the bike on, both cylinders worked, warmed it up, seemed ok. Sounds normal...
That's encouraging! Especially considering the electrode is way up in the threaded hole instead of down lower where it should be.

If I were faced with your situation, I'd try to shove a toothbrush loaded with my favorite solvent down the hole and twist it in hopes of cleaning out the threads the best I could. (May be impossible due to overhead obstructions?). Then I'd put some grease or anti-seize compound on the threads, get the plug started straight, and run it in as far as I could without cranking too tight.

Worst case outcome: If the threads are yacked up, you're in for a helicoil job anyway.

Best case outcome: it goes in OK and you're ready to ride.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote