View Single Post
Old March 13th, 2018, 11:03 AM   #41
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
There isn't any oil pumped to the primary gears, they just sit where oil gets on them from the sump. Not that your post isn't good, I just didn't want B to think his oil pump may have a problem, just from hearing the gear whine.
I appreciate your respectful disagreement with my post.

If you go out to the garage and stand the EX250 up on its wheels (as level as you can), then crouch down and eyeball the location of the oil sight-glass and the (obvious beneath the right-hand engine side cover) location of the engine's crankshaft you'll realize that the resting (engine not running) level of the sump oil is below the crankshaft's primary gear.

When the engine is running the sump oil level is much lower (than this engine-off oil level sight-glass) due to the large percentage of the engine oil volume that is currently being pumped throughout the system.

The EX250 Service Manual Engine Lubrication System diagram shows pressurized oil delivered to each of the engine's three main bearings with outputs from the crankshaft into each of the piston big ends and at both ends of the crankshaft (with the right-hand end being the area of the cam chain and the primary gear).
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote