Thread: '08 crf 150r
View Single Post
Old March 23rd, 2019, 06:23 PM   #29
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Just completed the CRF150R top-end rebuild.

Assembled the engine and fired it up the other day, and it ran, but not well. We ran it a bit and pulled the valve cover to re-check the valve adjustment. 3 of 4 valves had changed, so we needed to get the proper shims and reset them. We tack-welded the cam sprocket mount on the new cam so it can't spin and make a mess again.

When I purchased the bike the owner (kid) said it "had been sitting a while" and wouldn't start - which was a half-truth to say the least. After pulling the carb and not finding debris or varnish in the floatbowl, I gave it a quick cleaning and reassembled it. After checking it closer today we found the Pilot Jet was obstructed. Removed and cleaned it, set the valves, and it fired up first kick and idled decent. It still needs a few more parts, but it's together and ride-able.

Spent about $700 on parts and machine work to get it going, and it still needs a chain/sprockets and a few other parts. Overall I'm going to have about what it's worth in it. No deals here...

It just left in the back of my son's pick-up. He is planning to ride it on the dirt a bit and eventually set it up for Supermoto competition.

Sold it to him for (almost) what I got in it...

Last futzed with by jkv45; March 24th, 2019 at 07:10 AM.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.