View Single Post
Old November 6th, 2019, 11:04 AM   #27
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbleOpus View Post
So I decided to try some emergency braking going around 70-80kmph. Unlike at lower speeds, my bike destabilizes and wobbles a bit even if I am going straight. Is this suppose to happen? How can I avoid it if possible?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbleOpus View Post
The wobble happens whether or not I use the back brake. I will probably figure it out with some more practices. I am trying to program in my mind emergency braking at higher speeds so I can do it well when it is needed.

So far, from what I can tell, pressing the rear brake while emergency braking does not provide much stability or braking power at all. It just introduces the possibility of the rear brake locking up. Just touching it while emergency braking can cause it to lock up on my bike. I feel it is not worth using for emergency braking since it could cause problems when emergency braking is applied in a real-world situation.
Often the wobble is due to gripping the handlebars too tightly under braking and having added pressure on the bars. This can be avoided by gripping the tank with your knees under hard braking (to prevent your body from sliding forward into the tank and also to help keep weight off the bars).

We have a special brake bike at the California Superbike School that allows our students to practice emergency braking. There are outriggers on the bike to prevent it from crashing so the students can practice locking up the front tire, first of all to get a sense of what that feels like and then to learn how to get maximum braking without locking up the front tire (and what to do if they do lock up the front tire.)

What would you say are the proper steps for emergency braking? And what should you do if you get a wobble, or lock up the front or rear tire?
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote