View Single Post
Old April 5th, 2012, 06:56 PM   #12
Business810
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250, 2002 Monster 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
Look at the odometer. Are the numbers all even across or staggered? They should be perfectly even. If staggered, its probably been wound back. The problem you describe is more consistent with 47K miles not 4700 miles.

Also, is there any chance this was a salvage bike with parts from multiple bikes and possibly an odometer from a different bike?
It has a clear title, and everything seems to match so a salvage bike doesn't seem likely. I hadn't thought about the odometer being wound back, but that could explain it. I'll take a closer look at the numbers this weekend, but they seemed pretty even. I tried contacting the original seller, and of course he won't return my calls.

Quote:
Your statement "The engine will crank, but won't turn over" makes no sense. How can it run, but not turn over?
After adding some oil to the engine and pressing the starter, it cranks but doesn't actually start and run. Just a colloquialism.

Quote:
In any event, your experience is very atypical for a Ninja. They just don't go bad that easy. Does the fact that you posted on April 1st have anything to do with it?
No, unfortunately, it's not an April Fools joke. I wish it was.

I think a junkyard motor is in my future. Is $500 local pickup a decent price for a complete, running motor?
Business810 is offline   Reply With Quote