View Single Post
Old May 18th, 2013, 05:38 PM   #7
az3200
ninjette.org member

Name: AZ

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
Yes, its a test to see if you jumped a tooth. If it did, you just have to jump it back the other way. No big deal to do it right. If the IN and EX line up right, then you're good.

I doubt you did any permanent damage. But the mechanism (see my video) can get stuck when the bike gets older. You just have to work it free as described above.

If its still in one piece, then you didn't break it. The chain is pretty tough.

Count a certain number of links between the two cam sprockets. Always count that same number - whatever it is. Measure the length with a caliper. Write it down and rotate the crank a little bit. Repeat until you get all the way around the chain. It might also be useful to tie a little piece of thread at your starting link so you know when you've gone all the way around. You are looking for noticeable differences in the length between the same number of links at different positions on the chain. Then with a little math, you can extrapolate to figure out if your chain is out of spec according to the manual.

I have never heard of a cam chain breaking on this engine, but they will stretch. I think when you hit 50K miles, you are supposed to change them regardless.
ok cool thanks, you've calmed my nerves slightly (for the time being lol) the bike has 33k on it, it's a 2002. Tomorrow will be the tell all lol.

If what you're saying is true, I'm thinking it's gotta be that CCT mechanism from your video is stuck on my bike or something. pushing on it then pulling on the cam chain repeatedly will remedy that? What if it doesn't, is there a plan "B"? I keep stressing over why my cam chain is SO loose in that video..
az3200 is offline   Reply With Quote