View Single Post
Old May 23rd, 2014, 01:07 PM   #76
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vad18 View Post
(i.e. disconnected brake caliper) ....when it hits 9000 you get this high sound, so I really don't think its the tac,
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
High sound?
Like a high pitched squeal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vad18 View Post
..... I guess you can call it a squeal, idk, I got ear plugs and wind so I don't remember hearing a squeal.

I'd like to hear this noise you hear. The reason way is because the speedo cable can squeal if the inner shaft is somehow binding against the outer cable too much. Because the speedo (which is a mechanical eddy current speedometer) works by electromagnetism, it is not solidly linked to the needle. If for some reason the cable or magnet speed cup were faulty, an improper reading could occur.

Usually speedo cable squeal happens at a lower speed and is very audible, but I had and old car that would produce a squeal after 60-65 mph. Now this may not be the case with your bike, but it's an easy thing to check.

What you can do is remove the speedo cable from the wheel and pull out the inner shaft, inspect it to make sure it is properly lubed and that there is no evidence of metal to metal contact along the shaft. Also make sure that the cable is not bent or binding anywhere. Take note which end of the inner shaft goes where and re attach the speedo cable, test ride and see if there is any difference.

Just something check to try to rule out a speedo problem.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.