View Single Post
Old April 29th, 2018, 06:55 AM   #30
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
The 0-60 debate is neither here nor there, but remember there's 2 shifts to get to 60 when you're running 14/47 and even then you just touch 60 at the limiter. I have no doubt that longer gears make the 1/4 mile slower though. (basically the same top speed but a little slower acceleration) The great thing about shorter gearing is the bike is quicker at roll on out of a corner. It's good fun to have a peppy throttle response, even at the expense of being busy with the shifting and running out of tach quickly.

If you go taller to 15/43, IIRC, that removes a shift and the actual time to 60 is about the same. As always, with ninjettes the 0-60 time is most influenced by the launch because they're so power limited. Too aggressive and she pops a baby wheelie and chops engine speed. Too timid and you've lost up to 1/4 second. (I did some video testing on this a long time ago). Once you get moving and you're able to pop off clutchless shifts reliably, there's not much variation in the post-launch acceleration between runs.

Now if we look at 600's and 1000's that have ridiculously tall gearing and can already do well over 60 in 1st gear... I have no doubts that shorter final drive gearing makes for faster 0-60 and likely faster 1/4 mile times as well. They need it to get to the power sooner and can give up some speed in each gear because they're already over-geared (some suspicion here as to whether that tall gearing choice is for emissions, etc, but that's a different discussion as well).

Sorry for being OT in the mods thread. To get back on topic... no offense OP, you're asking about pregen modifications in the section of the forum devoted to just that. Instead of making a thread and getting all kinds of vague general answers, try searching. You'll get more info and maybe even pictures of what you're asking about.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote