View Single Post
Old March 25th, 2013, 02:34 PM   #17
accident-prone

Thanks Alex for the ideas. I've gotten both the dealer and an independent mechanic (Tyler) to take a look at it - although I don't know anyone else who owns one. The dealer, however, has said that he's heard some similar complaints from the few women he knows who have purchased one AND gotten it through the break-in period. Please let me know if you've had any experience with any of the shocks listed.

Also, I'd love to hear from any small women who own an EX300 and have ridden it through the break in period about handling, suspension, shaking, etc. Or, really anyone who has ridden the bike - as I think it rides stiffer in general - regardless of weight. And yeah, I'll ask Yakaru, though it sounds like she may not be through break in yet. It does sort of ok at low speeds/rpms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
It's just that this symptom doesn't sound like it is due to a properly functioning shock that's just a little stiff. It really sounds like something else is going on with your bike to cause it to vibrate as bad as you are describing, that changing out the rear shock will not necessarily fix.

All of the help in this thread is meant as just that, help, and you're of course free to take what you feel is useful and ignore the rest. But from this side of the screen, it sounds like I'd at least get an opinion from another mechanic, and/or ride someone else's 300 to either confirm that they all work that way for you, or if it's something that isn't working correctly on your particular bike. I'd do that before throwing any money at a new rear shock to try and fix the problem.

Ping @Yakaru, who just bought a new 300 after having a 250 for awhile; rumor is she weighs 105 lbs soaking wet.