View Single Post
Old April 22nd, 2011, 07:56 PM   #147
infinitethrill
forever a n00b

Name: Billy

Motorcycle(s): 08 ex250J, 78 GL1000, 01 ex250f, 99 VFR800FI

So... I have dropped my bike three times. I got it in late January and it is Late April now, so I have had it about 3 months. Have put 5000 miles on it (10 minute commute to work, but whenever I have a chance I go out exploring wherever I can).

#1- day 8 with the bike, riding ~15mph in residential. Still learning the controls at the time and pressed a bit too hard on the rear brake. Tire locked and skidded just a bit, okay. I used to take bicycles with my little brothers and go as fast as possible and skid just to see how long I could. So, I speed up just a little bit more ~25 and try again. Rear slides way too far out to the left, I stop braking and it snaps back and throws me off. . I stand up totally fine besides a scuff on my glove, but now the brand new (well, third owner but still) bike is crashed. I bent the handlebar, broke the bracket that holds the rear brake and peg, and punched/scratched/cracked the main fairing. Ordered handlebar and bracket online.

#2- about a month into riding, was on lunch break at work so was going to get food a mile down the street. leave the parking lot and go to the main street and slow down for the first stop sign. I am going a bit quickly I admit, anyway I downshifted into first at the stop and let go of the clutch too fast. See where this is going? Anyway, I ended up sitting on top of the bike, dropped on the CLEAN side, right at the stop. Pick it up again, this time just a small crack and a bent shift lever (I bent it back and all is good).

#3- after 3 months, had been off the bike for 5 days and had just gotten back from a long trip. Get in the door, get on the bike and go out for a quick ride around for a bit. Turn left, go down the main street about a quarter mile, and prep for the first right turn of the day. Take the corner at normal/high speed (yes my fault), and as I start to lean over the tires slid right out from under me. I dont know which went first but it just dropped down. Familiar crash and scraping noise, lots of sparks, lots of cursing (I had just finished patching up the fairing from the first crash). I got a tad bit of rash on my ass from the impact (it was under several layers, but still). Jacket really saved me here, it held up fine. Bike however slid up and onto the center divider, breaking the buddy peg/exhaust holder, rear brake lamp, scratched clutch cover, broke brand new brake lever, pretty bashed up fairing, and messed up adjuster on the end of the swingarm. I shouldn't of taken a turn like that with cold tires. Wasn't immediately thinking of that though at the moment.

This is really becoming discouraging. Since #3, I have been a different rider (much slower, which is a good thing). I would really only push the bike out in the canyons. Never aggressive with any cars around before however. I now have a quite large repair list, and it sucks because I had nearly just finished fixing everything. I guess I am writing this to vent and get it out. Any tips or advice? I still have the tires that came with the bike, and the rear would have to be replaced soon I would say, but could that be affecting this stuff? Or do I just suck at this? I took the MSF course, but the most I feel I got out of that was learning basic riding, low speed maneuvering and swerving really.

I am hoping I will get back the joy of riding, but most all of that was lost after #3. Don't know why it was different, perhaps it was my injury (even if not major), but the fact that my bike is now really messed up and I am a long way off from fixing it. And what if this happens again? I am in no way considering giving up riding however. Anyway thats my story...
infinitethrill is offline   Reply With Quote