Thread: Fork Brace
View Single Post
Old January 2nd, 2018, 04:12 PM   #46
tgold
ninjette.org sage

Name: Timm

Motorcycle(s): 2006 1050 Speed Triple, 2010 250 Ninja racebike, YZF320RR? Racebike

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by randycastell View Post
Thank you so much for your valued opinions. Fortunately I do have a somewhat proper metal shop (I do architectural fabrication for a living- I make stuff) and a decent drill press that will allow me to precisely clamp the fork brace in positions that will give me exact boring. The pilot drill will be indexed to the center of each 60mm hole if you will, drilling into steel support substrate and nothing shall change as I remove material at slow rpms with good lubrication. I Promise. :-) I think I can achieve the tolerances require to keep the forks parallel. Thank you again for your valued thoughts and opinions. I will certainly keep the thread updated.
Choneofakind is right. Using a drill press and a hole saw is pretty much going to guarantee failure. The tolerances for each aren't even close to what you will need to get it right. There are a lot of ways to get this wrong and virtually no benefit. I have done at least ten 3 hour endurance races on my 250 Ninja and I don't use a brace. The front end works great with the right springs, oil, and emulators. (We have seven wins, so we ain't exactly slow.)

My advice is don't waste your time.
tgold is offline   Reply With Quote