View Single Post
Old November 29th, 2017, 06:11 PM   #1
AchyGrappler
Motorbike Obsessed

Name: Me

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Kawasaki EX250, 2004 Yamaha FZ1, 2006 Honda CRF 450 Flat Track Race Bike

Suspension advice for the track

The facts:
2004 Ninja EX250- No fairings, New-gen rear shock at max preload, Racetech .75 springs with 135 mm preload spacers, approx bike weight 320 lbs wet.

Rider- 1973, missing hair, 225 lbs in full race gear.

Other- On the advice of Dave Moss, I put a zip tie on my right fork leg. to monitor my fork travel and am getting around 70mm of travel. I'm not getting any bottoming. On the bumpier sections of Chuckwalla's bowl I can feel the front end working and overall the bike feel compliant and responsive. I've read through my Racetech Suspension bible and can't find a good solid determination if I need to change things up at the front.

Does anyone else have some stats of their static sag and track pace fork travel as well as their impressions of how the bike feels to share? My thoughts are that I may need a bit more preload or a bit more fork oil. I'm making up a few extra spacers from my 4' length of PVC that I bought for just this purpose. If I can get out to the track this month I may do some testing. With my homemade fork cap compressor I can change my spacers out in between sessions easily and get some comparison data.