View Single Post
Old April 20th, 2011, 07:58 AM   #22
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

In general, I have to agree with FrugalNinja.

Obviously I could concoct potential scenarios in which the added acceleration could potentially avoid an accident ("and then the watermelon truck was hit by a meteorite and suddenly there were WATERMELONS EVERYWHERE and only my super agile speed allowed me to avoid the fruity carnage....").

In my own personal experience, though, having ridden on the freeway on a 17hp XT225 all the way up to a 100+hp Honda VTR1000....it doesn't really matter.

I have certainly been more *comfortable* riding on the freeway on larger bikes (the XT in particular is painful after about 30 miles because of its utter lack of aerodynamics) but that has very little to do with safety. I suppose you could say that extended periods of discomfort could lead to distracted riding, which could lead to an unsafe situation...

In general, though, the close calls I've gotten into on the freeway, and there haven't really been many, have been because I've spaced out and started riding in someone's blind spot. It's just as easy to do that on a ZX14 as on a 250R.