View Single Post
Old April 20th, 2011, 12:04 PM   #27
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnNinjaGirl View Post
Having ridden only dirtbikes and my Ninja 250, I cannot comment on motorcycles so much, but.....

Having driven everything from a 60hp MG Midget to a 400hp Subaru STi I can say that horsepower ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT get you out of a situation. While I much prefer driving the STi, the MG is just as capable of stopping, or turning to get out of a situation as the STi. You also find yourself in more dangerous situations because you think your ride is capable of so much more.

I can assure you, getting hit by a semi at highway speeds is no different in an STi, MG Midget, Ninja 250 or Hyabusa. You do, however, find yourself riding closer to semi's in a higher hp vehicle because you figure "well, I can do 0-60 in 3.4 seconds so I'll just speed up if something happens."

That is not good driving. Good driving is never being in the situation to begin with. You can't speed up, slow down or turn when you are boxed in.
The advantage I am talking about with more power does not translate the same to a car. Comparing a motorcycle to a car is apples and oranges. As for understanding what your ride is capable of, this comes down to skill. I certainly do have an understanding of the capabilities as well as the limitations of my bike. One can just as easily underestimate the capabilities of a 250 as they could a Zx14.

Good driving/riding is not to never be in a certain situation. Good driving/riding is knowing both how to avoid that situation as well as what to do when avoidance is not an option.
revstriker is offline   Reply With Quote