View Single Post
Old October 15th, 2020, 03:47 PM   #19
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Autozone has quite selection of loaners: https://www.autozone.com/tools-and-e...t/loan-a-tools

I haven't gone through all categories to see if they have vacuum-gauge. Simple enough to get one from Harbour Freight. Can also use it to bleed brakes!
https://www.harborfreight.com/brake-...kit-63391.html

Catch with testing petcock by manually applying vacuum with tongue, syringe or vacuum-pump is that may be higher-vacuum than is availble under normal operations. That's why you want to measure actual vacuum from carbs first. Then apply that same amount to petcock and see how much it flows.

I had case where bike runs for 1/2-lap (about 1-minute) and then it dies. Brought bike back, tested petcock and it flowed plenty. Went out again and it died exactly 1/2-lap. Brought it back, had empty float-bowls... wtf! Instead of testing petcock's flow, I looked at vacuum-hose in between and AHAH!!! It was little on long side and I had looped it over backbone of frame. Then when I lowered tank, it crushed loop and cut off vacuum! So, petcock and carbs may be perfectly fine!

If you're up to challenge of cleaning carbs, do search for "clean carbs ducatiman" to find many threads with photos and process to thoroughly restore carbs to factory-fresh clean condition. Note that unclogging jets is just first 5%, you'll also have to scrub and clear entire flow-path of petrol from tank to carb-venturi. Dried petrol tends to leave dark-brown varnish everywhere it flows. And modern carb cleaners don't work due to removal of chlorinated compounds. I've found 50/50 mixture of acetone and PEA-based fuel-system cleaners along with nylon brushes work much, much better. Also replace all rubber O-rings and seals.

You should at least make an attempt to learn. Many extremely skilled mechanics have had to remove carbs 4-5x for ever deeper cleaning before their bike ran like off showroom floor. In end, it may be simplest, fastest and cheapest to send carbs to ducatiman for full restoration.

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; October 15th, 2020 at 05:14 PM.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.