View Single Post
Old October 28th, 2020, 11:25 AM   #1
Zcudi
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Malique

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250 with a blown head gasket

Blown head gasket. Need advice

Hey guys it’s nice to join you all.

Been on a Facebook page for the 250 for a few weeks asking questions and getting some advice. Fixed up my project bike real nice with freshly cleaned and coated tank, carbs, new tires, chain & sprockets, brakes and all fluids.

I Then took the bike for a spin, not realizing there was a cooling system issue, and the bike overheated multiple times. By overheated I mean it went halfway or deep into red and I just stopped the bike. I smelled burnt toast close to home when I stopped.. The next time I tried to ride it 20 minutes later just to get it home, I blew the head gasket (coolant was boiling away in reservoir.. Idk why).

So at this point understanding the damage I may have done to this bike, I’m thinking I might as well just replace the whole motor instead of paying for the head gasket repair and finding out I cracked some engine components. The bike struggles to start up for some reason but it will. Carbs were done professionally so I don’t understand what the problem is. Choke doesn’t seem to make any difference in cold starting. In fact choke makes it unable to start from cold. Runs and idles well. Light White smoke from right exhaust

Any advice here? Thinking of buying a motor for $400 that was used in a go kart, install it myself, Then maybe get a used water pump for radiator/cooling system.

I really don’t want to let my money go straight into a part out and be left with no bike again.

Any advice is appreciated
Attached Files
File Type: mov trim.F712CA9B-AB39-4180-8D54-82287ECDB0FD.MOV (6.73 MB, 16 views)
Zcudi is offline   Reply With Quote