View Single Post
Old February 20th, 2022, 06:44 AM   #305
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 07 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob KellyIII View Post
if putting a squirt or at the most 2 squirts of oil in the cylinder and doing a compression test WITH the throttle wide open improves the compression reading a large amount ( say 20lbs) then that denotes the rings are leaking
the test is not foolproof as valves can also show that ,but it is rare.
....I doubt the cylinders are rusty but being under a tarp for 8 years could well do that. it's hard to say.... I suspect you have 160psi in each cylinder and your gauge is just off.... check it on the Triumph real quick if it is about as low then don't worry about it....
it's very common to get bad gauges now days for some reason especially if it's a fairly cheap gauge !
it could be stuck rings on the piston due to all the oil and stuff you've been squirting in there LOL but it's highly unlikely !
if it was running decent I'd leave it alone till I could confirm exactly what the problem is.
.... if it was firing on both cylinders but not running the best I would suspect the carbs being dirty still.....
Don't get led astray by the low compression reading when you don't know if the gauge is accurate..... if it is then yes the head needs to come off.
Bob....
Bob unless you ever been to alabama it has very high humidity and high temperature and I been thru out the south state in big rigs with my mother ex-boyfriend who long haul driver to florida one summer.

The compression test gauge can be easy be check with against a air compressor gauge usually within + or - a few pounds of being accurate to each other.

Last futzed with by shspvr; February 21st, 2022 at 03:17 AM.
shspvr is offline   Reply With Quote