View Single Post
Old May 7th, 2011, 12:47 PM   #100
opc
ninjette.org member

Name: Owen

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Hi Guys,

Well I tore the whole thing back apart and double checked everything, and I'm positive it was all done correctly. None of the hoses were loose or kinked, and everything was connected as it should have been.

The first thing I tried was turning the fuel petcock to the "prime" position to see if it was a problem with the vacuum not opening the fuel valve. That made no difference, and the idle was still jumping around and dipping below 1000RPM, so I just set it back to "on".

I then pulled off the new block-off plate and took out the reed valves to take a better look at how they worked. I noticed they looked rather sooty, so I snapped a few pictures and cleaned them off carefully. They definitely only allow pressure in one direction (sucking air in, not blowing it out). Putting a block off plate on there certainly won't cause any undue pressure under there, otherwise the thin reed valves would have blown themselves out long ago.

Is that level of soot buildup normal, or is it trying to tell me something about how the bike is running? Too rich? Too lean?

I think I'm going to try putting the Kleen air system back on to see if things go back to the way they were before. If they don't, then it might be indicative of some other issue that just happened to pop up at the same time.

I'll keep you all posted.

Cheers,
Owen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6256.JPG (233.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6262.JPG (174.8 KB, 13 views)
opc is offline   Reply With Quote