View Single Post
Old July 17th, 2012, 06:37 PM   #209
Galaxieman
ninjette.org member

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 Concours 14

Lane split legally for the first time last weekend while heading from San Diego up to Anaheim (Disneyland!!!). With my wife on the back. Under 35mph, and less than 10mph over what the traffic is doing, it's safer than sitting between the drivers. Didn't have any significant issues, other than getting buzzed by a BMW K1600GTL rider who apparently thought I wasn't going fast enough between the cars. Every time the traffic started rolling again, I moved back over into the lane... no problems.

I did it for years in DC, once I figured out that in 'parking lot' traffic, there isn't anything a police cruiser can do anyway. Basically I was sitting in 95* heat and the temp gauge on the bike hit 236*. My options were lane split and get some air flowing on the radiators, or cook my nuts, since there wasn't any place to pull over for about 2 miles on that section of 395. I chose option 1 . After seeing it work very well in Iraq (of all places) and Korea, it just makes sense. There's all this wasted space between the cars where a bike could simply filter to the front and lessen the congestion. One of those things that makes sense when you think about it, but many can't get past the "You're gonna DIIEEEEEE!!!" safety-nanny nonsense.