View Single Post
Old January 16th, 2013, 09:01 PM   #227
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
There's been some progress on this in California. A committee of motorcycle groups, CHP, and state government transportation folks, have come up with some clear guidelines for lanesplitting/lanesharing. These have already been posted up on the CHP site.
Although I tend to be Mr. Negative when the topic of new laws comes up, I certainly support clarifying existing laws, or in this case permissible standards (as long as they aren't tightening the noose). The outlined points are pretty much exactly what I've always heard, but I still think it's a good thing for the CHP to be posting this as an authoritative source. I was also pleased to see the bottom notes to cagers, instructing them to behave themselves. Although I personally split lanes a LITTLE more conservatively than the CHP outlined, I support their points as a reasonable standard. Did I just say that about a government agency!!??

EDIT: I just noticed this part:
"- Be Respectful --- sharing the road goes both ways.
•Don't rely on loud pipes to keep you safe, loud pipes often startle people and poison the attitude of car drivers toward motorcyclists.
•Other vehicles are not required to make space for motorcycles to lane split. "

LOL, the CHP weighs in on 'loud pipes saves lives'!
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote