Thread: Bicycles!
View Single Post
Old September 2nd, 2018, 01:10 PM   #2227
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
They're 650Bx48, so the OD is roughly the same as a 700x25, give or take. They shouldn't impact cornering clearance unless I'm running them low enough to get extra squish factor. Cornering on pavement switchbacks is fantastic! I can't report on anything related to descending gravel roads, because I blew past my turn and missed the downhill section of forest road I was planning to take. Oops.

The tires are Panaracer Gravel King's with file tread on them, not the knobby SK version. They're similar to the the WTB Horizon's that everyone is making a fuss about, but they don't have a hard slick centerline like the Horizon's.
https://www.panaracer.com/lineup/gravel.html

So far I have 30 psi on the front and 36 psi on the rear. I'm 130 lbs. Seems a little low for pavement, as I experienced a little undamped bouncing both at high rpm spinning on pavement and over rocks on the fire roads. I'm going to try going up 2 psi on both and see how that goes. I'm looking for a good "in between" pressure so I can run a mix of gravel and pavement decently without having to change pressures. There really is something to this high volume tire trend. Rough patches of road were a giant non-issue.

I am definitely going to have to get used to this bike. The bars are wide angle drops, so the hoods are mounted differently than I'm used to. Also, the BB is just a fuzz higher than I'm used to with a longer chainstay length and longer wheelbase than I'm used to. Only a couple small changes from my typical endurance geo roadie, but the net effect is it feels like I'm sitting "on" the bike rather than "in" the bike, if that makes any sense. But at the same time, it's very composed and stable, so it's a new feeling for me.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote