View Single Post
Old March 14th, 2014, 04:10 PM   #158
Ducati999
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

The best thing I have read about the Yamaha R3 is that they plan on using a "cross plane" type crank layout. The ninja 250 uses a parallel twin which means the engine fires at even intervals while the cross plane would IMPLY a staggered firing possible not sharing the same crank pin. This would be highly unlikely in a twin but Yamaha is known for changing things in motors for small advantages (5 valves, Cross plane R1 and R6 and CV throttle bodies). The extent of what they can do would be limited by there market price point but this doesn't mean we cant hope for some innovation. I would have to guess that the Brembo bits on the "prototype" are either for show and to gather more attention or they will be "bargain basement" but then again there is always hope! Ohlins suspension on a bike in this class for less than $6000 would almost assure success in the USA. The lower end of the CC market is growing fast with many MFGs getting in the game so if Yamaha did their homework they may have decided what the public in America wants and I for one hope they deliver!
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote