Old May 8th, 2014, 10:48 AM   #1
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

I think I need to clean my carbs..

(tl;dr at bottom) ****SOLUTION!!!****

Full story-
Well, this is my 3rd time riding my bike ever. I drove to the beach by my house (1 mile away) and I was practicing at the parking lot on how to slow down using down shifting and practicing my up shifting, etc. I must say, I am getting pretty decent at it...

Anyway, I started to go for a run down the street, I stopped at the stop sign and checked for cars, I had already downshifted into first, I was sure of that. The neutral light was not on. I slowly released the clutch and allowed the bike to accelerate slightly and started to pull the throttle just a bit. Well, for some reason the bike started to almost die! I made sure the clutch was fully released and yet my RPM's were only around the 1-2k margin. I even stalled out! I had no idea what had happened!

I turned the bike back on and it seemed fine. so I went on it a little bit, pulling it a little harder, shifting at around 8k rpms, etc. I went around again, back to the beach and it was shifting like a dream all over again, no issues. so I decide it's time to go home, down the road I was going through the same thing! I was moving in 2nd gear and I was going roughly 20 MPH. Some people at a cross walk were trying to let me go, they kept waving their hands as I slowly idled by! How embarrassing!! I down shifted to first and double-triple-quadriple checked that I was in first and I made SURE I was not in neutral...the clutch was fully released. The rpms were not jumping though, I pulled over and turned on the reserve gas, thinking I may be out of gas.

It rode a little better but still seemed hesitant. Once I got home I checked the gas, it seemed fine, there was at least 2 gallons in there. I wasn't sure what to think!

-----------------------

**Some important information**

my dad changed my spark plugs last night (we switched them to NGK, I triple checked the part number and made sure it was completely 100% correct). The old plugs didn't even look that bad, probably original so I'm glad we changed them, but they were just slightly brown. We honestly could of left them in there, so I don't think the engine has any issues.

The bike ever since we got it had a little bit of hesitation problem, so I don't think it's 100% the gas.

I guess I need to run some carb cleaner right? Or should I completely take a part the carbs? My dad does this all the time with snow blowers, old bikes, etc. so he should have little issues helping me out. However, I know he won't want to cause he hates doing them. lol so I need to convince him that carb cleaner won't solve the issue, we have to completely clean it (if that is true).

Also just a side note we drained the old gas and put in 2 gallons of premium gas when we bought the bike.

-The bike is an 03 with just under 3,000 miles. So I guess it had to of been sitting during some spans of it's life time. It sat all winter but was being used last summer.

------------------------

tl;dr - bike hesitates badly when you give it gas, it's inconsistent. Some times when it's acting up when you try to give it a lot of throttle (not WOT, but maybe half) it completely hesitates, it needs to ease... but it was giving me bad issues today where it wouldn't even allow me to ease onto the gas.

any help would be greatly appreciated,

thanks.

Last futzed with by Hero Danny; May 12th, 2014 at 05:43 PM.
Hero Danny is offline   Reply With Quote