View Single Post
Old November 28th, 2009, 07:44 PM   #7
Rayme
ninjette.org guru

Name: Remy

Motorcycle(s): '04 sv650s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASecretNinja View Post
I'd like a little more science behind your guys' claims. My understanding is that rust = oxidation. Key root of that word "oxi" coming from oxygen. Science tells us that cold weather is "denser" i.e. contains more oxygen per unit of measurement, so by those standards a car should rust faster in a cold environment because it is being expose to more oxygen.

I believe you will find more of a correlation between rust and humidity than rust and temperature. My garage is dry and sealed extremely well from the elements. It's warm in the summer, cold in the winter and I see no difference in how fast things oxidize. This house has been in my family for nearly 50 years as well.

I think the storage environment is irrelevant if you drive in snow/ice/salt. You car/motorcycle/didlo WILL rust being exposed to salt.

my .02
I think it's simple to think that driving you car into your heated garage where it will sit for hours in its saline electrolyte bath(salt and water), will make it rust much faster than the same car left outside where some of that water will freeze easier(and ice is not a good conductor) and or snow fall onto it and melt/wash away some of the salt. Now i'm talking about the underbody of the car, it won't affect much any of the painted surface obviously.. Anybody living in a cold climate where they use salt to clear the road knows their cars are pretty much salt covered for the whole 6 months of winter.

Best thing to do is to spray fresh water on your car and under it to remove all the salt.. it sounds easy until you realise your hose can't be used because its frozen ahah!