Thread: Smoker advice
View Single Post
Old April 7th, 2019, 01:46 PM   #11
Ducati999
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
One thing to consider in getting smoker is parts availability due to age and liquidity of market. Bikes like NSRs and RGVs were popular in Japan in '90s, but supply of replacement and maintenance parts has dwindled over the decades. Even if you're able to do maintenance yourself, where are you going to find replacement barrels and rings? My brother has to wait month to get parts for his VFR400RR to be shipped from Japan, and that was more popular bike than smokers.

I recommending sourcing and pricing out maintenance parts for next 10-yrs along with purchase price of bike. The most popular and most-supported 2-stroke engine currently is Banshee engine based upon old RD/RZ350 engine. Plentiful number of aftermarket vendors for maintenance and upgrade parts. You can even build a complete engine from scratch using aftermarket parts.
The primary reason for my renewed interest in a 2 stroke street bike is the reacent article in Cycle World highlighting a new company in New Jersey that are importing all the 90's "Dream Bikes' that were banned by the EPA. They will find you thw bike you want, service it and even unlock the motor/derestrict and even get 17" rims, Ohlins and other goodies. They also have a direct line (their words) to all the necessary parts to keep them running for many years. Since I also own 2 other bikes and have little time after life and wife, the bike wont be racking up 20,000 miles a season. According to the article anyone should be able to get a well cared for and decent running blast from the past all set for registration for about the cost of a new 600 cc. I have about 9,500 budgeted for the next ride, just not sure when I will pull the trigger as we are about to buy a new house (hopefully with a bigger garage) but I will update everyone with the "process" and cost once I start the hunt for my NSR.

I am really leaning toward the Honda because ot is the smallest physically and I hope once I get it home my wife will fall in love with it and I can get another - possibly a TZ250R. I will get to try out the Honda and decide if it is right for my fat ass or I can opt for the Suzuki as it is bigger and has more power stock.
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote