View Single Post
Old October 21st, 2021, 05:10 AM   #3
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

I have hear that before that compressing the forks will blow the seals but in all honnesty i think it is a MYTH ! forks are designed to be compressed and they can be bottomed out without damage to the shock of any kind... how ever the next time you do it you could damage them, it's a ware/stress thing that if it blows the seal the seals were weak already, and all the compression did was make the weak link show up....
I compressed the forks all the way to the bottom and we came home all the way with them like that.... yes I checked the tie downs after about a mile or so and made sure everything was still tight...
then again about 3/4 home it hadn't bugged an inch.
..... that Drive home was stressful the Honda CRV really didn't like pulling that little trailer... and it was real light in the front end of the car... I am used to having a pickup to pull trailers... not a glorified mini-van LOL
so I keep the speed down to 60mph or less and we had no mishaps at all.
...but I was really glad to get home... the last 5 miles or so was rain and strong wind... which didn't surprise me at all as it had been cloudy all day.
we'll see if the front forks leak in the next few days, but thank you for the info. !!!!
that is a heavy bike on that little trailer... and I am real glad I welded the 2" tie down eye loops I have going through the frame of it....
I even have a steel loading Ramp now, previously all I had was boards..
the guy even gave me the ramp he had ! which is really Neet !
it may take a while for me to get used to the Kick start on the O'l girl as I am spoiled by electric starts now ! LOL....
and I couldn't stand it, and went out there and un tied the bike and left it on it's side stand on the trailer
so it wouldn't sit there all night in compression.... not that I think it would hurt it, but why take the chance Right ?

Bob........