View Single Post
Old October 22nd, 2021, 07:54 AM   #9
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

I've ran into a tiny problem with the Triumph... I can't find the place to add OIL
HAHAHAHAHHA ! I think I actually found it though it is under the seat on this thing and a large cap is to be removed and a fine screen sits directly under the cap.... But there is no oil residue in there at all and a bolt that holds a rubber washer down sits there plane as day so either the bolt has to come out
and then you add the oil and or maybe a dip stick is on the end of the bolt
....I've never ran into this on any other bike I've owned... it's supposed to be one of the Triumph designs that have the OIL IN FRAME as they call it
but there is no filler cap on the frame tube anywhere that I can see.
the cap under the seat looks like the only possibility
in between rain storms I went out and discovered the "Under the seat" stuff
the battery and below that should be the air box and filter
...it's supposed to hold 4 pints of oil but before I ride it anywhere I want to check the oil !... I should go down to the DMV tomorrow and get it changed over and licensed before I ride it anywhere anyway !
( I bet the carburetors on that thing have not been synced in 20 years !)

the PO did give me 2 extra boots from the carb to the air box, which was cool ! but the ones on it look in new condition anyway. he did take very good care of it !
he showed me the brake line he replaced recently on the disk brakes
but I don't think the back one has been done.
.... I found some mufflers for it but man are they expensive ! but I may bite the bullet and get them anyway as this thing is way too loud !
.... the engine in this thing is Unique ! it has a bore smaller than the stroke
and a dry sump and the transmission is seperate from the engine and takes 90w gear oil !!!! that surprised me ! I expected that on my W1 Kawasaki 650
(BSA) as the trans was separate from the engine but so is this one apparently
the trans has separate oil in it !
...I've been reading the manual and the one he gave me with it ( owners manual) and i haven't been able to find out how to check the engine oil !
of all the silly things ! they Hid it on me ! ( it's gott'a be that cap under the seat)
it weighs 409 lbs and should have around 65hp ( I am guessing)
which means it will get up and go real good !
I was reminiscing with the wife about being back in highschool so many years ago and remembered at about the time I graduated Triumph changed the geometry of their front ends on the bikes and I thought NOOOOOO !
but they did ! and she remembered me fussing about that....
but I was hoping that this machine was old enough to be before the change, but I graduated in 1971 i think so 1977 will have their NEW geometry
so we shall see.... ( they changed the Rake and trail )
I bet it handles like a Honda ! HAHAHAHAHA
I was told by one of the dealers they changed it for the faster roads now
which may or may not be true but the older ones handled like a dream
my W1-650 was the best handling bike I owned up till this Ninja.... so we shall see if the triumph people got it right or not !

later all !
Bob.......