View Single Post
Old October 25th, 2021, 12:06 AM   #24
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Humm ...well I think i found the problem with the clutch in the Triumph 750
.... I pulled the primary chain cover to get to the clutch and discovered that he had 90wt gear oil in it... according to the manual it should be the same engine oil....
I finally got the spring retaining screws off and all the springs are about 1/16" too short
and if there's 1 /125 of an inch left of fiber on those clutch plates I'd be surprised !
there is barely enough to feel with the finger and they look cooked !
so I am thinking I will just replace the clutch plates and metal ones too as they look a bit warn, not bad though... and slap it back together and see if that does the trick
I'll put in the engine oil though, not 90wt gear oil, the older machines did call for 90wt
but this one calls for 20w50 , the same your supposed to run in the motor...
so I'll do dat !
and the manual is quite vague both on the photos as to where things are ( I found several discrepancies ...like drain plug location for the primary case and a few other things.... Reminds me of a Chiltons manual ! LOL
I might buy some springs as well... it would be a good idea to replace them while I am at it....
Bob........