View Single Post
Old November 4th, 2021, 11:52 PM   #36
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Well, the carb manifold studs came today as well as the electronic ignition
so I hurried out there and put the carb on after installing the 2 studs that i got.
.... the instilation of the studs went without a hitch I put blue lock-tight on the threads in the head so they shouldn't be coming out with the nuts being removed any more.
everything looks to be sealed up real good and the crb is on there nice and solid.
I found another fix me thing on the Triumph earlier today, the petcock on the left side was not working at all... so i syphoned all the gas out and pulled the tank, and pulled that petcock off and it was full of crud... blocked off completely
so after cleaning it good I put it back on and I will be using that side as the reserve as it has no filter on it at all. I am hoping the other side has a filter on it ! LOL
these carbs have a built in filter on their banjo fitting that attaches to the carb.
but no inline filters at all anywhere, I suppose that is because it would take 4 in line filters to do it... as there are 2 lines from each petcock. lol
anyway I got the urge and put my boots on and went out there and tried to start that beast.... and it was a no go without the use of quickstart !
but with quickstart it fired right up... and i discovered that it was dropping one cylinder at below 2000rpm ..that plug is definitely dead !
at least I hope that is what is causing it <grin>
but it does run again... just not real good at the moment.
I am still waiting for the spark plugs to arrive from Amazon when they get here I expect it to purr like a kitten !
my new jets won't be here till the 8th so in the mean time I think I will install the electronic ignition.... tomorrow !
and get that out of the way.
although I don't have the TDC tool yet it should be here soon...so I may wait
and see if I can get that plug to fire at idle ....
I did try adjusting the fuel/air screw to see if it would pick it up but it wouldn't so I put it back to stock settings of 2.5 turns out
I synchronized the carb slides as best I can do without using a synchronization tool... just by eye ball and they are moving in unison now...they weren't !
... I have not checked the tappet clearance yet the previous owner said he did that recently , but that could be the reason that cylinder is dead at idle...not very likely as it was running at idle before but has just gotten worse... so I think it's the plug.
.... we shall see i guess
Bob..........