View Single Post
Old November 5th, 2021, 12:21 PM   #38
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

I was watching Lowbrow customs video on the pazon electronic ignition install again for the 3rd time and there near the end of the video he starts the bike
and it sounds so cool.... it lopes nicely but I think he said it has a new mild cam put in it... if I can get my bike to start and run that nicely I will be quite happy....
I have a question that's bugging me .... on the AMIL Carburetor on the Triumph 750. When is the choke on ? the choke is a slide inside the slide of the carb.
a very weird arrangement and logic would tell me that when that slide is all the way down the choke is ON because it blocks off the most air, and that would increase the suction in the carb and suck out more gas... but strangely enough.....
the choke has very little effect at all. ( think that is just the nature of the beast on this animal...)
I have tried several times to start the bike with the slide down to no avail
or all the way UP and there seams to be no difference....
when the bike is running if the choke slides are down it still runs.about the same...up or down... so I deduced that UP slide is OFF and down slide is on... ....
I've seen that many guys simply block off the choke and get rid of it !
probably because it doesn't help starting it anyway !!!!!
the previous owner said he would turn it through 2 or 3 times with the choke on and Key off trying to start it.... i've tried this with very little success
.... the only thing that gets this bike running is "Quick Start"
and I hate using that on a bike... but it's better than kicking your guts out on the beast.
I am hoping new plugs will cure that problem. I remember with my Old 305 honda that when one plug was weak it was seriously hard to start.... but it has an electric starter ...this don't !
I am trying to decide if I want to put on the electronic ignition unit on it now
with it running so poorly or wait like I SHOULD ...and get it running real good first ! LOL..... on the one hand it might cure half the starting problems
and on the other it might just complicate the getting it running real good easier....
i'm leaning on waiting .... as I don't want to fight this big beast I want to ride it.... HAHAHAHAHA
most of all my parts will be here by wednesday, and it's cloudy and overcast
outside ...and cold too... so waiting on that endeavor is the thing to do I think.
getting that thing clean is a major chore ! every rag in the shop is dirty now and...i've only gotten the engine looking clean !
.....it needs to be steam cleaned badly !!!!!!
( the nearest car wash is 25 miles away in Yreka ! )
later !
Bob........