View Single Post
Old March 4th, 2016, 05:38 PM   #65
Zaph42
ninjette.org sage

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 (race), Ninja 1000 (road)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toEleven View Post
Feel free to wait for the OP's opinion, but the most common response I've seen on this forum is that the Vesrahs are preferable, and both are probably overkill for most riders. Your personal tastes will be a bigger factor than the pads themselves in this case.
You'll hear a lot of people say EBC HH pads suck. But actually there are 4 different kinds of HH pads and some are pretty good. Plain or (sintered) are the worst. The good ones are extreme Pro (also called EPFA) which is considered a track day pad, the Grand Prix (GPFA) which are considered full race pads. Both are fade free brakes but they have different levels of friction. GPFA pads have super high friction. But on bikes with good brakes, a lot of people prefer the EPFA because they more easily modulated with lever pressure. On supersports, GPFA will lift the rear wheel with a single finger pull. Riders who trail brake a lot would end up sliding down the asphalt on their face if they grab slightly too much lever with GP pads. I use EPFA's on my 675R triumphs.

But the 300 ninja doesn't qualify as good brakes. They are super weak, and the more friction a pad has the better. (at least for people who can't upgrade the caliper to stay supersport legal) EPFA are available for the 300's crusty old caliper design but not the GP. (as far as I could find) EP pads aren't going fade on the 300, but they are going to require high lever pressure. If GP pads were available, I would have tried them. But the Vesrah pads have a nice high initial bike that works well with the ninja brakes. From what I hear SV650 riders like them for that reason too.

Ham fisted newbie street riders would probably do ok with base model HH or EPFA. Go fast guys aren't going to like those options on the 300.

Now the other day I saw a European seller who claimed to have GPFA for the 300. Might be worth a try if really available.

All IMHO and opinions may very per rider.

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.