View Single Post
Old July 2nd, 2016, 08:17 AM   #26
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
I didn't see where they specifically said that, but there are parts of the powder coating process that can damage a wheel (alter the heat treating) if not done properly.

Heat is the problem. Too much for too long and you will change the heat treating and soften the wheel.

The majority of the wheels I coat are forged factory Porsche race wheels, and I am very careful not to alter the heat treating. They are over $1500 each, and run on cars approaching 200 mph, so there's no room for error.

I would say those wheels could be coated, but I would make sure the shop is experienced with wheels. I would quiz them about their process, and if they are not familiar with heat treating or "aging" of aluminum I would find someone that is. If they say anything out "outgassing" or "burn-off" I would run away...

In the Las Vegas area, I would talk to Juan at Snail Motorsports (http://www.snailmotorsports.com/powder-coating).

Jay
www.apexcustomcoating.com
Would it be possible to anodize them, since they're aluminum? I don't know how forging affects the anodizing process, or how anodizing would affect the strength. I don't really know much about anodizing, other than it turns aluminum different colors. =)

This looks right up @Yakaru's alley:

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote