View Single Post
Old October 21st, 2012, 08:38 PM   #1
Maielstrom
Ghost Rider

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Nice ride and a cool app

Been craving a ride for about 2 weeks now. Last time I was home from school, I took a night ride and ended up shivering for 15 minutes after I got off the bike (didn't think it was that cold out haha). Took a nice ride on the Taconic North then went on I-84. Rode next to a yellow Lambo for a while too which was fun. It was only my second time ever on the highway, but I loved every minute of it. The season made it even better, lots of leaves changing color, was going by some waterfronts, really awesome! And heading North, there was virtually no one else on the road, so I was very comfortable. It was windy though, and I did get a few cross gusts which were a little unsettling, but they weren't a problem. Worst one hit me on a turn which scared me a bit, but I got through it alright (have read some posts on here regarding wind, so I had a little knowledge on how to handle it). It was a perfect day for a ride today though, so glad I got out there!
I used this pretty cool app to track my ride today. It's called runtastic, and it uses GPS to track and map your route. Data wise, I used maybe 10 - 15 mb, so it was a lot less than I anticipated. At the end of the ride, I had a breakdown with time, distance, average speed, average pace (miles/min), max speed, a map, and a cool graph with a chart logging speed and elevation. It was really cool. I wanted it most for the map and speed breakdown. I was surprised to see the difference in GPS speed vs Speedometer. The GPS speed marked me about 10mph less than the speedo. I'm aware the speedo isn't very accurate, I was just surprised to see that big a margin. Anyone have similar apps which they use for this kind of thing? Only thing I didn't like with this one was that I thought I shut the voice off, but apparently I didn't. At a stop light I heard a voice coming from my pocket, and had no clue what the thing was trying to tell me.

Forgot to mention. It also has this feature which allows for a "live tracking." I don't intend to use it, but my understanding is that you can post it, and people can see the route be created as you're progressing.
Maielstrom is offline   Reply With Quote