View Single Post
Old October 30th, 2015, 11:54 AM   #31
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
K. Code noted "traction riders" in TOTW2 - Riders that ride by the "feel of traction", or by the seat of their pants imho. I think we all have and must have, that inner traction rider. How much in control that traction rider is, differs per rider. Think instinct vs practiced skills.

Needy riders - Just like traction riders, we all have an inner needy rider. It's our greatest strength, yet our biggest weakness at the same time. Without that need satisfied, we go slower. Yet that need becomes our limit when we try to go beyond it. And interpreting K. Code's quote "take control by doing nothing" another way, we learn that putting our needs second to the bike's needs or lack thereof, is often more beneficial to our pace goals.

I already wrote about conservative riders, bolt turners and such...

The other big group is the fearless group, made up of younger racers and junkies. Be it ignorance, lack of experience or something I don't fully understand, they just don't care as long as their internal adrenaline meter is pegged. The price (risk) they are willing to pay for the "high" is greater than that of most other people. "To hell with the bike and it's complaining, I am having the ride of my life".

EDIT: Most riders are a blend of said groupings, but normally there is a dominate one. For full disclosure, my dominant group is also still a needy rider.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.