Old December 20th, 2017, 04:41 PM   #36
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
I had a BBC cam wipe a couple lobes once, but it was way before ZDDP levels were lowered, and it was a triple valve spring setup.
You're forgetting that ZDDP isn't the only AW/AO/Corrosion inhibitor additive out there. Current oil still has AW additives and that's important to remember if your application is flat tappets. Just because we've replaced ZDDP as an AO additive to stop killing cats doesn't mean that we've taken AW additives out of motor oil altogether.

I think the more important asterisk to the tappet galling issue is not to beware of low ZDDP oils, but to beware low AW oils for this application. IE, I wouldn't run an industrial compressor ISO 100 oil in my flat tappet engine that calls for 10W-40, even though the hot viscosity is similar. It's not about anecdotally saying "it's fine because I haven't seen a problem!", it's about finding the right oil for the application. Many will work, but there's always a way to ensure you're giving yourself the best chances possible. Oil sampling and testing is really the only way to know how your oil is performing.

When in doubt, call/email the contact on the website for whatever oil you are interested in running. They're usually really good about having people on staff who know what they're talking about to answer questions.

As always, pick one oil that you like the color/smell/taste of best and stick with it! All these additives we've been talking about don't necessarily play well together, especially when heated and mechanically agitated. Sludge is a real concern.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote