View Single Post
Old April 27th, 2012, 07:49 AM   #18
Tay
ninjette.org member

Name: Tay

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

dubojr1:
Here in Australia, only the carbs where sold, no FI.

Like naughtylion and everyone else having remote start issues, my remote start would crank but not start because of this so called anti hot wire feature (or whatever they call it).
When the remote start tries to crank, it turns over about two times but nothing happens, however the ignition is still on because the alarm does not know if the engine is started or not.
With the ignition still on by the alarm, if you try to start the bike like you normally would with start button. Same problem, it will crank but not start, now if you turn the key to ON (with the ignition still on from the alarm) and try to start the bike, it starts first go. So it's definitely something to do with the extra signal.

My Ninja is a 2011 model, so I'm not sure this feature was added in 2010 onwards or not?

After contacting naughtylion via PM to see if he sorted this out, to my luck he did! and my PM reminded him to update this post

A picture is worth a thousand words, I successfully got remote start to work and decided to take some happy snaps.

BIG THANKS to naughtylion to getting this worked out!

To get to the ignition plug, the tank will need to be removed.
Below is the plug your looking for.

Unplug the plug and the carefully pass the plug under the frame, this is so you have more room to work with the plug.
These are the two wires you will be working with.

You have a few options here, naughtylion suggested to cut the GREY wire, I decided not to, so I popped the plug out instead, just in case I need to put it back to standard later
I didn't take a picture, but I also popped out the BROWN wire as well.

To pop the plugs out, looking at the plug face on, you notice a little gap on the top of the connection.
Now as you can see with the removed plug, that raised piece metal is what's preventing the plug from removing.
I got a good size paper clip and inserted in the gap, what you are trying to do is bend the raise metal back down so you can remove the plug. With the paper clip inserted all the way in, I also had another small screw driver to push the plug back to remove.
Repeat this step to also remove the BROWN wire.

Now you need to get these bad boys, I got a 100ohm (0.5w) resistor, 0.45c for a pack of 8.

With my fancy Paint Shop Pro skills
You need the resistor to be connect between the BROWN and GREY wire, this last step will be left up to you, you need to work out the best way to connect the two.
For me, I popped out the BROWN wire as well, I soldered the resister to both wires and carefully connected the BROWN wire back into the plug. You MUST leave the GREY wire unplugged, the GREY wire should only be connected to the BROWN wire via the resistor.

Plug the ignition plug back in and put the fuel tank back on and connect everything up, then test by first starting your bike as per normal, making sure it works, then try the remote start, make sure it can start (if the bike is cold, suggest to put the choke on), if it starts, congratulations! now try turning the bike off with the alarm, if it turns off, start putting your bike back together.